Spring Lodge Veterinary Group in Essex | 24hr Emergency Service

We British eat £4.6 billion worth of chocolate each year. Half the chocolate we eat is milk chocolate; a third is dark and the rest white chocolate.

As we have Easter and all its chocolate coming up, we want to make our clients aware of the dangers of chocolate in dogs.

Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine (a bit like caffeine) that is poisonous to dogs. The amount of theobromide differs in the different types of chocolate (dark chocolate has the most in it).

Use this handy chocolate poisoning calculator to work out if your pet has been affected by eating chocolate.

dog and chocolateWhile we all know that chocolate is toxic to dogs our furry friends often have other ideas.

Every Easter we have to treat at least one naughty pet that has raided the Easter Eggs and overindulged in potentially dangerous levels of chocolate.

The image shows our vet Lydia teaching her Cairn Terrier ‘Mister’ that dogs should not eat any Easter Eggs!

Vet Lydia at Spring Lodge teaching her dog about dangers of chocolate eggs in dogs

Other possible Easter Dangers to your pets:

Spring bulbs can be fatal if dug up and eaten by your pets.

Tulips and daffodils are toxic to dogs and cats, although all parts of the plant are toxic; it is the bulbs that actually contain the most toxins.

Do not allow your cats to drink the water of any cut daffodils in your home.

We Offer K-Laser Therapy

We Offer K-Laser Therapy

K-Laser therapy is a non-invasive way of stimulating the body’s natural healing process

Mental Health Week

Mental Health Week

Our pets play such a huge role in our mental health, they are truly wonderful creatures that have the ability to make us laugh, cry and all of the emotions in between!